John P. Talan
2006 – 2011: International Relation Department, UPN “Veteran” Yogyakarta, Indonesia
2013-2014. Water governance and water conflict in Indonesia - See - Masa Depan Tata Kelolah Air dan
Tantangan Penyediaan Air Melalui Bendungan di Indonesia: Studi Kasus Konflik Pembangunan Embung di
NTT) [Future of Water Governance and Challenges of Water Supply Through Dam Construction: A
Case Study on Dam Conflict in NTT, Indonesia] IRGSC Working Paper Feb 2015. Link. PDF
June 2014: Field Researcher for Conflict within Conservation Area (Manggarai, West Flores)
Reviewing Conflict in Conservation Area in Manggarai, West Flores, East Nusa Tenggara Province. This Activity is
carried out to review the possible policy to reduce conflict with farmers.
Mei 2014: Field Researcher - Coordinator for Monitoring and Evaluation Research Belu
Independent Progress Review-Poverty Reduction Through Safe Migration. This survey aims to measure the progress
and benefits of the implementation of the Poverty Reduction Program Safe Migration Through the TIFA Foundation to
beneficiaries (former migrants, family migrants and prospective migrants) and the people in the village where there is
a migrant worker.
April 2014: Field Researcher for Monitoring and Evaluation Research in Jakarta
This research covers Universal Birth Registration for Street Children in Jakarta.
March 2014: Field Researcher for Monitoring and Evaluation Research in TTU
This Monitoring Evaluation Research measures the Impact of Maize Seed Demand and Supply Stimulation to Improve
Farmers’ Welfare in TTU.
November 2013: Field Researcher for Monitoring and Evaluation for Learning Without Fear
This research covers the implementation of Learning without Fear Program in 15 Senior High Schools in Jakarta.
October 2013: Field Researcher for Mapping the Social Aspect of District Planning
This research is a baseline research which is conducted in Kutai Kertanegara District, East Borneo/Kalimantan.
Jun-Jul 2013: Field Researcher for the Development of Democracy in Indonesia
The survey investigates the elite opinions on the level of democracy in Indonesia, in particular in East Nusa Tenggara
Province. This is a joint research between UGM and University of Oslo.
Feb-Mar 2013: Field Research for Social Culture Anthropology of WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene).
This research is a systematic study of social-cultural dimension of WASH in Kupang, West Timor by Institute of
Resource Governance and Social Change (IRGSC)
Dec 2012: Field Research Coordinator for Baseline Survey on Safe Migration
Field research coordinator for Baseline Survey for Poverty Reduction through Safe Migration: A Pilot Initiative TIFA-
AUSAID-BNP2TKI (National Agency for the Placement and Protection of Indonesian Workers)-TNP2K (National Team
for Accelerating Poverty Reduction)-Kaldera Institute.
2010- 2011: Independent researcher
Undergraduate Research on “The effectiveness of The REDD (Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and forest
Degradation) Mechanism in Indonesia”. [Undergraduate Thesis].
May-June 2009: Independent researcher
Conducting Research on Inter-Ethnic Conflict in Yogyakarta funded by Kopertis Region V Yogyakarta- UPN “Veteran”
Professional Working Experience
2013-Now Researchers at the Institute Of Resource Governance and Sosial Change (IRGSC)
July 2013 Researcher for Economic Recovery Program in Post-Disaster Areas-Belu NTT under the Directorate
of Social-Economic Recovery BNPB (National Disaster Management Agency).
2012/2013 Researcher for Economic Recovery Programme in Post-Disaster Areas for Region-Belu NTT under
the Directorate of Social Economic Recovery-BNPB (National Agency for Disaster Management).
2011-2012 Journalist for Warta Pasar Yogyakarta Magazine. It is a magazine founded by the group of traditional
market town in Yogyakarta.
2011-2012 Researcher at the Cakrawala Institute (Center for Justice and Development Studies ).
2009-2011 Coordinator of Jaringan Advokasi Rakyat (JAR) Yogyakarta. JAR network involves in advocacy,
research and facilitation program to empower Street Vendors and Trader Traditional Market Actors in Yogyakarta.
• August, 2014: “Wajah Ganda Pembangunan Embung di NTT”, Op-ed in Satu Timor
• August, 2014: “Membaca Pilpres Dalam Konfigurasi Politik di NTT”. article in IRGSC Blog ()
• April 2014: “Kemunculan Buaya Pertanda Bahaya Iklim dan Ekologis Yang Lebih Besar”. Op-ed Satu Timor.
• October 2013: “Siapa Lawan Mafia Peradilan di Daerah”. Op-ed article in Victory News
• October 2013: “Mengungkap Mafia Peradilan di NTT”. Op-ed Victory News
• July 2013: “Disaster, Disability and Development in Indonesia” [Co-authored with Nike Frans].
• June 2013: IRGSC Policy Brief #6 “Menuju Good Water Governance di Kota Kupang”
• May 2013: IRGSC Working Paper #7. Future of Latrines and the Future of Civilization: A Summary from an
anthropological Survey of Sanitation in West Timor, Indonesia.
• February 2013: IRGSC Policy Brief #1 Towards sustainable industrialization of NTT Sopi
• June 2013: “Menuju Good Water Governance di Kota Kupang”. Op-ed in Pos Kupang
• February 2013: “Membedah Malaka dan Banjir”. Op-ed article in Victory News (February 6, 2013)
• October 2012: “Pahlawan, Imaginasi Sejarah dan Kedaulatan Berpengetahuan”. Op-ed Timor Express (Oct
• December 2011 : Mengurai Konflik Politik Elit Lokal. Op-ed article in Pos Kupang”.
• 21 December – 5 January 2014 : Research methods training in Gunung Kidul under Dr. Emmanuel Subangun
• 4-6 June 2013 : Policy Brief Training of Writting by JiKTI (Network Researchers Eastern Indonesian Region) in
• August 2012: Menakar Kekerasan dan Penegakkan HAM di NTT”. January 2012 : Menggugat Ruang Politik”.
• December 2011 : Kelaparan, Dialog dan Peralihan Cara Produksi Masyarakat.
• October 2010: Membangun Semangat Kewirausahaan Untuk Masyarakat Wilayah Pinggiran”.
Email: zhetayopier at yahoo.co.id